Linda Engstrom, APLD
34780 SW Cloudrest Lane, Hillsboro, Oregon, 97123
Get the most out of a CONSULTATION with your Landscape Designer
by asking yourself beforehand:
- What areas on your property bother you the most?
- Do you know the identity of all the plants?
- Have you identified all the microclimates or trouble spots?
- Do you have a budget in mind?
- What timeframe do you have in mind for the project?
- Do you plan on working in your garden yourself, or hiring outside help?
- If deciding on a PLAN- Do you have a copy of a plot map from your builder,
realitor, or county that gives specific dimensions and house footprint?
This completed questionnaire, along with information that I obtain
from / about the site, will enable me to draw up an analysis
diagram, which is the first step in the design program.
Phone:________________ work #___________E-mail/ Fax___________________
This analysis is designed to give me an overall concept of your property,
family lifestyle, and the design elements that need to be considered for
the conceptual landscape plan. With the information provided here, and
during follow-up conversations, I can tailor the design to your specific
I. GENERAL INFORMATION
1. List family members and hobbies - interests which might
influence property use
2. Are there any allergies or other medical problems/conditions
which should be considered?
3. Do you have any pets that might require a special area or
4. Do you want or need a fence? Height restrictions?
5. Do you live in a development where there are any covenants I should
be aware of?
- Would you like it open, or more enclosed and private?
- What type of walkway exists? Is it wide enough (welcoming)? Is shape
- Do you see the need for other major walkways or paths?
- What paving material (stone, brick, gravel, pavers) do you prefer?
7. Driveway - vehicle access
- Is it adequate in size for the cars in the family?
- Is there adequate parking for guests?
- Where will you place your garbage cans?
- Do you need an outdoor storage shed?
- Woodpile? Compost?
- Future outbuildings (on rural properties)
- greenhouse / barn ?
9. Children's area
- Do you want a specific play surface?
- Do you need room for play equipment?
10. Entertaining - Outdoor living
- Do you entertain large crowds? small? informal? formal?
- Would you like (more) decking or a large patio?
- Permanent outdoor seating?
- How much of this area do you want in the shade, sun ?
- Outdoor cooking area?
- Swimming pool or hot tub?
- Special game area or sport court?
- Outdoor lighting?
11. Edible Gardening-
- Do you want specific areas for vegetables, flowers, herbs, fruit trees?
- Are you opposed to the use of pesticides and chemicals in the garden?
12. Maintenance: How many hours a week are you willing to work
on your property?
- Will you be hiring out the maintenance chores?
- irrigation system?
13. Do you have specific plant preferences and colors? (list
seperately if necessary)
- Plants or colors to avoid?
- Circle the following that you especially want to include: lawn
areas (large or small)?/ground covers / perennial flowers / river rock
/ graveled areas /edible plants / rose bed / rock garden / ornamental grasses/
14. Do you want any of the following decorative features / accessories?
- bird attractors / water features / large boulders / gazebo / pergola
/ arbor /garden sculpture / container plants ( pots) / garden furniture/
15. Circulation: In considering typical outdoor activities of
your family, are there areas where you foresee a path, or traffic-tolerant
II. SITE- do you have a site map / plot plan? (available from builder
1. Approx. size of property __________________________( provide
specific dimensions of property lines if available)
2. Site character (wooded, open meadow, steep, urban lot, rural.....)
3. Problem areas- steep slopes, poor drainage? erosion?
4. Considering your lifestyle, what feeling or mood do you want to establish?
( natural, formal, oriental, English country......)
- Does this tie in with architectural style of house?
5. What are the most frequently used rooms of your house?
- What do you see from their windows?
6. Are there any natural features on the property that you would
like to emphasize? or change?
- boulders, woods, stream, slope/ hillside (site contours), view...
7. Where is drain field, or septic tank location? Can you locate the
8. Are there easements or deeded restrictions that you know of?
9.. Does the site pose energy problems?
- elevation, solar orientation
- Prevailing wind direction?
10. Are there areas of micro-climates (total shade, protected
or enclosed areas...)? describe locations
11. Are there street lights, noises, or views outside the property that
cause problems or need screening attention??
- drainage or traffic patterns that influence site?
12 . Do any existing plants, trees or structures need to be removed
Please add any other information that you feel would be helpful
in planning your design. Include any photos or idea clippings if you have
them. I will arrange to pick this material up, or you may mail this
to me at : 34780 SW Cloudrest Lane, Hillsboro, Oregon, 97123
E-MAIL address: firstname.lastname@example.org